Politics

Roger Stone and Alex Jones among five to receive Capitol attack subpoenas | US Capitol attack

The House select committee investigating the Capitol attack on Monday issued new subpoenas to five Trump political operatives including Roger Stone and the far-right media star Alex Jones, as the panel deepens its inquiry into the “Save America” rally that preceded the 6 January insurrection.

The subpoenas demanding documents and testimony expand the select committee’s inquiry focused on the planning and financing of the rally at the Ellipse, by targeting operatives who appear to have had contacts with the Trump White House.

House investigators issued subpoenas to the veteran political operatives Roger Stone and Alex Jones, Trump spokesperson Taylor Budowich, as well as the pro-Trump activists Dustin Stockton and his wife, Jennifer Lawrence.

The chairman of the select committee, Bennie Thompson, said the subpoenas aimed to uncover “who organized, planned, paid for, and received funds related to those events, as well as what communications organizers had with officials in the White House and Congress”.

Thompson said in the subpoena letter to Stone that he was being subpoenaed to explain why he had been invited to lead the march to the Capitol on 6 January from the rally at the Ellipse, but curiously, did not ultimately attend the rally or go near the Capitol.

The chairman also suggested that House investigators were interested in Stone’s connection to the Oath Keepers, the militia group he used as his private security detail before several members stormed the Capitol to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s election win.

In the subpoena letter for Jones, the host of the far-right network InfoWars, Thompson raised the fact that he too did not lead the march from the rally from the Ellipse despite being invited to do so, in a potential indication he knew in advance about the Capitol attack.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *